What am I doing *right now*? Here’s what’s on my plate for 2017 (last updated February 2017)
- In 2016, I received NSF funding for a three-year project in partnership with Michael Zimmer from the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee & two faculty at Erasmus University in the Netherlands (Jason Pridmore and Daniel Trottier) to study how people make sense of privacy when using smartphones. Read more about it here.
- In 2016, I also received funding from IMLS in partnership with my iSchool colleague Mega Subramaniam to study privacy and security challenges specific to economically disadvantaged families and to work with them and public libraries to develop resources to enhance digital literacy skills in this group. More information on this project can be found on our project website, safedata.umd.edu.
- I received some funding from UMD to conduct a longitudinal study on how teens’ privacy and disclosure norms evolve throughout adolescence. I’m running pilot studies at two Baltimore-area high schools this year. More information is on my lab’s website.
- I’m still working with two journalism professors at UMD on an ADVANCE-funded project tackling online harassment. We are presenting the first part of the data at CSCW 2017 in February (paper here) and are analyzing data from 25 interviews with young women about their harassment experiences.
- Myself, Pamela Wisniewski of UCF, and our doctoral students have two papers under review as part of a project looking at user response to Facebook’s launch of Reactions and, more broadly, how technical features enable/constrain social support online. A third paper is in the works.
- Also at CSCW, myself and some colleagues are running another in a series of workshops on networked privacy. This year’s workshop focused on issues around data privacy and ethics.
- Teaching-wise, the iSchool launched a new undergraduate degree, BSIS (Bachelor’s in Information Science) and I designed and am teaching the intro class, which has been a lot of fun (see syllabus here). More info on our new degree program is here: http://infosci.umd.edu
I try to update this page semi-frequently with my current projects but I inevitably fall behind. Also, I’m not covering everything here, so if you’d like to chat about any of these projects or more generally about my research, feel free to email me.